Sunday, April 7, 2013

Should college women think about marriage?

Thanks to a Facebook friend I stumbled upon this article this morning. The article entitled "Why I Told Female Princeton Students to Find a Husband" rang quite true to me today.  I really see a viable argument for young educated women who are considering marriage to keep their options open to looking for marriage material while still in college. Now while not all young women will find a suitable marriage partner, while in college, it is a great time to begin scoping out what you want in a husband. 

I remember being amazed my first weeks of college at all the "smart" guys around me.  These were young men who wanted to do well in school, but not only that they enjoyed academia, engaged in thought provoking discussions, and had aspiring career goals.  This came as a pleasant surprise to me as I saw very little of this behavior from young men in high school.

As I think of successful college relationships I think of my sister and her fiance and my cousin and her husband. Both couples met while in college and have happy, healthy relationships.  I began dating Matt while I was in college, and we are on our way to the beginning of a wonderful marriage. One reason I believe our relationship flourished so much early on was because I was in college.  We got to take advantage of everything college life had to offer us which made our dates more fun and exciting.  Because I was going to school in the San Francisco Bay Area we got to experience more  culture, food, and people than we would have had we just been dating in our small hometowns; therefore, enriching our relationship. Within the coming months we will be moving to Provo, Utah where Matt will be finishing his degree.  As a newly married couple, it will be fun to once again experience all that a college community has to offer. It will undoubtedly enrich our lives once again.

As the article points out though, as woman enter the work place they will not find as heavy a concentration of these types of high quality men in one place.  This is not to say that all is lost for women who do not find the loves of their lives in college. There are plenty of women who find love later.  However, I do feel that would behoove young women to open themselves more to the possibility of going out on more dates while yet in college.  These experiences will also give young women more opportunities to learn and grow not only as students and professionals, but also emotionally as they develop the ability to have stronger relationships and learn more about their own interests and tastes. Even if dating while in college with the idea of finding a husband does not ultimately yield the desired outcome of finding a husband, when done with discretion and wisdom a young woman can ultimately come out all around better because of having tried.

No comments: