Sunday, January 4, 2009

Winter Vacation

I cannot remember a time I've had a more exciting, relaxing winter break than I did these last two weeks. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking, and I'll fill in what they cannot. I am grateful I got to spend time with my family. Our Christmas Eve tradition was brought back this year, but with a new twist that looks like it is going to stick for years to come: awhite elephant exchange. Everyone got a kick out of the gifts. Next, my parents, sister, and I took a much needed family vacation. We visited the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose and the Hearst Castle in San Simeon. This was the second time I've visited Winchester. I would recommend it to anyone in the San Jose area. It's a fascinating story about how it came to be. The only downfall is all of the original furniture in the house was removed after Sarah Winchester's death, so the house doesn't have the same feel it may have had during Sarah's time.
Our next stop at Hearst Castle was so fascinating and beautiful. I highly recommend this place to anyone. It's worth the windy drive down Highway 1. Yet, I also recommend people educating themselves on William Randolph Hearst soon before or immediately after they attend. Watching Citizen Kane is a great start. Finally, I was really fortunate to spend so much time with Matt. It may sound cheesy, but I'm seriously the happiest and most comfortable I've ever been when I'm around him, and this vacation was no exception. What a great holiday! Spending time with the most important people in my life - enough said, vacation was perfect!

4 comments:

Sami said...

I'm glad you had a great Christmas break! It was so much fun having you around for a while! =)

Matt said...

Rosebud...

Carolyn Siemers said...

Aren't families amazing? Yours is beautiful. Cute couple Too :-)

L said...

I'm glad you had such a good break! I love how happy you look in all the photos. :) I wasn't able to take very much time off work this year, so no traveling for me, but I had a splendid time with my Sacto peeps. I hope you're well. Miss you!