Sunday, April 21, 2013

Come Follow Me Lesson April 2013 The Apostasy and Restoration: How was the priesthood restored?

Even though I'm the time is drawing near that Matt and I will be married (only 5 more days) and moving to Provo and I'll no longer be the Young Women's president of the Alturas Branch I was told I should still share my ideas about how I teach my lessons.

Today's lesson was "How was the priesthood restored?"  None of the materials in this lesson were original, so I've of course will give credit to all sources and the link so you can find the materials for yourself.

I began this lesson the same way I began last week with quotes from General Conference pinned on the wall.  I asked each girl and leader to choose any quote they want and do a quick write of what the prophet/apostle/general authority was trying to teach us and why it is important to follow this counsel.  I decided to start doing this because I wanted to keep conference fresh and all still get the messages across to the girls who didn't watch conference. Thanks to My Computer is my Canvas I got the quotes here and here.


Last week's lesson was on why was a restoration necessary.  Since one of my Young Women were gone last week and may not know a whole a lot about the apostasy and restoration I decided to use the first page of this worksheet from The Red Headed Hostess as a fun review.  It ended up taking quite a bit of time but it was apparent by the end how much everyone knew about the restoration. I wanted to do this object lesson, but forgot to buy cups the night before.  It worked out because we wouldn't have had enough time anyway.  I explained the object lesson to the girls anyway and that seemed to make the apostasy and restoration more clear for those who were still having a hard time understanding.



From there we related what we knew about was lost as part of the apostasy, including the priesthood.  I handed out these handouts to make sure the girls knew what priesthood is (I really try to focus the beginning of my lessons on understanding Gospel vocabulary because not everyone knows what certain words mean) and how it was restored.

 

After that we watched this video about how the priesthood was restored. I really love this video. I love that scripture helps narrate it.  It helped me understand the events of the restoration of the priesthood so much better.

We then had a priesthood holder come in and share his priesthood line of authority with us.  This was really cool and I emphasized how the priesthood that is held by worthy priesthood holders today has a direct line back to Christ.

We ran out of time today, so we didn't get to do what we normally do. We normally right the questions from each lesson on a large piece of sticky paper and answer them at the end of the lesson.  It gives the girls the chance to show what they know and help the teachers see if the lesson was effective and what touched/inspired the girls.  Next Sunday each girl will answer the question "How was the priesthood restored?" at the beginning of the lesson.  So the girls' assignment is to retain that information for next week and be prepared to share by writing the answers on the large piece of sticky paper.  Not the most original assignment but it works for us because it meets the needs of the girls and the lesson for the day.

No comments: