Sunday, January 17, 2010

Basketball


Yesterday was my first official game as a basketball coach, and it was a pretty good experience if I do say so myself.

Growing up I loved basketball. I was so excited when I got my first basketball for Christmas. It was during the same year the WNBA was created, so of course the basketball itself was an official women's size, regulation WNBA basketball. I loved that thing and the sport so much I even tried sleeping with the ball. That often did not work and the ball would end up in the floor, but my heart was in the game.

I think I reached the peak of my basketball abilities around my sophomore year of high school. I That was also about time I realized my priorities and my goals for the future had changed, and I looked forward to other adventures in life. I continued to play basketball, and after high school came to love basketball more for the pure enjoyment of it, rather than to become a super-star player.

That is one reason I wanted to help coach the 5th/6th grade girls town league. Besides that I just like being involved and having fun with the girls. The league really isn't anything too serious. We just play one or two games every Saturday morning with no practices during the week. I have a seven players, so every girl gets lots of playing time. It's really great cheering the girls on, giving them a few words of advice here and there, and seeing big smiles on their faces because there is no pressure of winning or losing (even though we do keep score - but don't make a big deal out of it) and for some it's their first time ever playing on an organized basketball team.
And for our first game yesterday my girls were stellar. They had so much fun and played great basektball.

It was also awesome to have my parents and Matt be there. Matt of course is always supportive. I love how the first thing he noticed was how one of my players had a huge smile on her face the whole game. That made me proud. My mom noticed how a happy dad came up to me right away after the game to introduce himself and shake my hand. She also noticed how I helped one of my girls with shooting free throws during half time, after she airballed two of them during the game. All she needed to remember to do was bend her knees. The next time she shot a free-throw she made it :) I also knew my dad was enjoying himself seeing me out there having fun with the girls because he always enjoyed and supported me as a player. It was wonderful to have these special people in my life see me participate in an experience that was already becoming a very special part of me.

So it's pretty awesome to see my career in basketball come full circle. Sure I didn't become the next Tina Thompson or Cheryl Swoope like I use to dream about, but I tell you what I wouldn't have it any other way.

2 comments:

Sami said...

How fun Carolyn! I'm excited for you! I would absolutely LOVE to coach too! =)

Matt said...

I think I sense a State Championship Sweetheart! ;)