Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Yard




If you know my mother and grandmother you know that they have regular ole' green thumbs. I always appreciated both of their abilities to turn an average space into something truly magical. The next chance I get I'm going to post pictures of their yards, and you'll see exactly what I mean.
When I was a kid,I can remember going to the Matthew's greenhouse on Old Westside Road every spring and picking out flowers with my sister and mom. Both my sister and I would run up and down the rows of flowers inside the greenhouse and out, anxious to find the biggest, most beautiful petunias for our mom. My grandmother would be there in her big brimmed hat, apron, gloves, and trowel in hand working away with a smile on her face, eager to share new growing tips she had learned while working at the greenhouse. There truly seemed to be nothing less than magic growing in those rows of flowers at the greenhouse because of the way it brought our family together.
In May my mom and grandma came over to impart their wisdom of knowledge of the garden on me. Since then I've been truly blessed with a wonderful sight every time I leave and return home. It's been such a joy to get up early in the morning before it's too hot or work in the cool summer evenings in my yard.
I don't know if I'll ever perfect the skill of gardening as my mom and grandmother have but I'm grateful that I can always plant flowers and be reminded of their love for me.

1 comment:

L said...

Your house is so cute!